A fantastic Algerian side dish made with carrots. Pre-steamed carrots are tossed in an aromatic mix of garlic, black pepper, cinnamon, cumin, garlic, thyme, bay and lemon juice. It takes about 45 minutes to prepare it.
Ingredients for 6 portions:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 350ml water
- 900g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Time to prepare it is about 10 minutes, and to cooki it about 35 minutes.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with 350ml water or just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover and bring the water to the boil over high heat. Add the sliced carrots, reduce the heat to medium and cover the pan again. Steam until tender but not mushy, 4 to 6 minutes depending on the thickness of the slices. Reserve 125ml of the cooking liquid.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the salt, pepper, cinnamon, cumin, garlic and thyme. Cook the spices and garlic, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved cooking liquid and the bay leaf, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, tossing well to coat with the spice mixture and cook until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice and remove the bay leaf before serving.